I recently heard about a book that seemed to really speak to the heart of what this site is all about. It’s called Crazy Love by Francis Chan. I haven’t finished it yet, but I want to share just a small section of content from the back of the book and one quote from the inside. Check this out:
Have you ever felt like we were missing it?
It’s crazy if you think about it. The God of the universe – the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles…galaxies and E-minor – loves us with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love. And what’s our typical response? We go to church, sing some songs and try not to cuss.
Whether you’ve verbalized it yet or not…we all know something’s wrong.
- Why are there are over 350,000,000,000 BILLION galaxies…that we know of, most of which the human race has only seen in the last few years due to the Hubble telescope?
- Why does a caterpillar have 228 separate muscles in it’s head (that’s a lot for a bug don’t you think)?
- The average elm tree has approx 6M leaves on it
- Your own heart generates enough pressure to squirt blood up to 30 feet
- He didn’t have to put over 3,000 species of trees within 1 sq mile in the Amazon jungle or so many different kinds of laughter (you know…wheezes, snorts, quiet, loud, obnoxious), but he did.
- Did you know that spiders, when spinning their web can produce up to 60 ft of silk per hr while simultaneously producing a special oil on their feet so they don’t stick to their own web…that deserves some respect!
- When you get goose bumps, the hair in your follicles is actually helping you stay warmer by trapping heat.
- Or have you ever marveled at the fact that plants take in Carbon dioxide and produce oxygen?
- And those same plants started as a seed in the dirt, some watered some not, that transformed and defied gravity and poked their head/sprout out of the ground and into the sunlight.
The rest of the back cover says…
Does something deep inside your heart long to break free from the status quo? Are you hungry for an authentic faith that addresses the problems of our world in tangible, even radical solutions? God is calling you to a passionate love relationship with Himself. Because the answer to religious complacency isn’t working harder at a list of dos and don’ts – it’s falling in love with God. And once you encoutner His love as Francis describes it, you’ll never be the same.
Because when you’re wildly in love with someone…it changes everything.
And here’s a quote from the book:
“Whatever God’s reasons for such diversity, creativity and sophistication in the universe, on earth and in our own bodies the point of it all is His glory.”